Well, I've been finishing up UFOs. I had 7 of them, and I decided in June that I would work non-stop until I had them all finished and ready to send to Peggy for quilting. So this is my journey of finishing - one quilt at a time.
Some were finished quickly, they only needed a border or two, and some were finished slowly, blocks were finished but they had to be set together and borders added. I sometimes struggle with the design of the sashing and borders on quilts. I love how the quilts eventually turn out, but there are twists and turns and ponderings and changing of mind along the way.
The first one I finished was a 70s Dresden Plate. I had found the blocks at a thrift store in Lynden, WA - and they were priced at 2.95 - not 2.95 a block - but 2.95 for all the blocks. Several were already finished and attached to the backing and there was enough backing to finish the rest of the blocks - all for 2.95 - total. Well, being frugal (cheap) I certainly couldn't pass up an opportunity like that - so they came home with me.
This is how most of them came - pieced and ready to applique to the backing . . .
I know this is a 70s quilt, because I recognize several of the fabrics in the blocks - I used them in my kids' clothes back in the 70s, so I have a reminder of those times, in blocks that someone else made.
Some still had the paper on the back from the English Paper Piecing . . .
Some didn't match with the others . . .
Some had the center appliqued on - but I wasn't crazy about that choice, so those were removed.
Since the predominant color in most of the blocks was green, I decided on a simple green sashing. It is a bright Kelly Green.
And here it is - ready to be quilted - I love the idea of blocks that someone made and then wasn't able to finish. I feel like I have helped them along to make these blocks into a wonderful quilt.