Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Have you been to Causland Park in Anacortes, WA?

If not - then get yourself over there. You will be shocked and delighted with the park.

Don found it on September 5 when we went to Ancortes for a sew-in. I sew - he explores and shops. After the sew-in we drove to the park - it fills one city block and we drove around the whole thing - stopping so often so I could get "this great shot.

This park was built around 1920 - using native stone. Designed by Jack Lepage - from France - and built by local workers. It will astound and amaze you. Just the logistics of getting those stones up to the park must have been unbelievable. And then to form all the walls - what a feat!!! It took a year to build it, and originally was as a tribute to the soldiers who died in World War I. There is very little about the park on the internet - I would love to learn more. It is the only park like it in this country. Another was planned in another state but they ran out of money and the part that was started was later torn down.

I won't be making many comments in this post (are you shocked and surprised at that?) because the pictures speak for themselves. Click to enlarge - and get ready to be amazed!











The trees must have been very small when this park was built.














And a gazebo for plays, wedding and other celebrations.



Seating for the audience.



Even the inside ceiling is covered in rock.



The end!

10 comments:

Julie said...

That is absolutely fascinating! Thanks so much for sharing and what awesome pics!

Crispy said...

Wow great park!! I didn't know it existed either. Thanks so much for sharing the pic Jo.

Crispy

Michelle said...

beautiful... I have been to that area many times and have not seen that park.. now I need to head back and check it out :)

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

What a sight for sore eyes! We went there all the time!!! They have some of the most amazing and oldest monkey puzzle trees I've ever seen, besides all that incredible stonework. Yes, I'm fanatical about monkey puzzle trees...I can work them into any conversation, LOL...Anacortes is such a pretty place. I liked their murals all along the shopping area, too...

PAT said...

Looks like a great place to explore!

Thanks for coming by the Back Porch. I believe the image reflecting beside the fisherman, is someone walking along the wall. There is a path along the stream and rock wall. There were several people on the wall, when I took the photos. When the leaves change, we'll try to go back to Bennett. It's gorgeous during Fall. I hope to have my good camera back, by then.

Dena said...

I can't believe Don had time to find this hidden treasure after all the shopping he did while we were sewing. lol I'm going to have to plan a trip so I can see all of the structures in person. Great find Don!

Barb said...

The stonework is amazing...loved your pictures.

Lili said...

This is intriguing knowing it was built as a tribute to those that perished in WWI, and it is puzzling why not much is known about it. Great photos...thanks for sharing!

Julie said...

Ah-MAZ-ing, especially the gazebo. Hmm - I wonder if we could have something like that in ND, if we collected all the rocks picked out of fields.

Christine Thresh said...

I've gone through your pictures of the park twice and studied the details. Amazing work. What a treasure. I've never heard about the park.
There are some good designs that could be adapted to quilt blocks.
Thanks for this interesting tour.