Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Gingerbread man



My lovely daughter-in-law, Jamie, and I love gingerbread - and sometimes I tend to get carried away with a theme. I make gingerbread pigs with pink icing on their backs for christmas every year - and they are the cookies that go the fastest, I even bought a pair of scissors with a gingerbread man for the handle for this christmas this year when Jamie was here, so we could use them when we wrapped gifts.


And now I've made a Gingerbread Man potholder. He is just a modified nine patch, with rick-rack sewn on for decorations. I used round black beads for his eyes and buttons, but later went to the fabric store and got tiny black buttons that I will use for the next potholders I make.

I used binding, like a quilt, but I suppose I could just sew around the edges (right sides together), leave a small opening and turn it right side out, then top stitch around the edges to define them - I might give that a try on the next one.

The green is just background - not part of the potholder. I am definitely making more of these. What do you think, Jamie?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

How creative & cute!! I too love Gingerbread both the real stuff & anything decorative!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

LINDA BYLSMA said...

That is so cute!!! I might have to copy. You are so creative.
This Magic Carpet Ride has me even more behind than I was before in reading my friends blogs. The faster I go, the behinder I get.

Pat said...

I like your potholder....very clever to modify a 9-patch like that.

Sunny said...

These are really neat... wherever do you come up with all your ideas?? I think the binding on the edge is great cause then you can just make a hanging loop :)

Elenka said...

I've seen many potholders, but never one like that one. I love it!!!!!

Lili said...

Oh my goodness, that is darling. I think you need to get yourself an Etsy shop and sell them on line.

JoyceAnn said...

I love the potholder , it's adorable , you did a great job.

~ Be Blessed ~

Heike said...

You always amaze me!! I second that Etsy shop :)...

Small City Scenes said...

Hey that is very neat. So clever you are. MB

Lila Rostenberg said...

very cute and creative!

Barb said...

That is just tooo cute!!

pwetypweas said...

I think its absolutely adorable & that I need his brother in my kitchen next Christmas ;)