Monday, January 25, 2010

More Dresden Plate blocks


Two sweet friends offered to give me some Dresden Plate blocks, and I'm not one to turn down DP - they are one of my favorte blocks.


Sheila offered me these Dresden Plate stars - are they not the most wonderful thing you've ever seen? The points are all neatly pressed under and they are ready to applique. There are 20 of these blocks. I was thinking of a pale brown background, to make them stand out, and maybe sashing, or maybe alternating plain blocks to make the quilt bed size. Not sure of the center yet - you have any good ideas? Oh I know you do - let's hear them.


Then Billie offered these Dresden blocks - she said her sister got them at a yard sale in a sewing box - from an older lady's house. At first I thought they were done in 30's reproduction fabrics, but the more I looked, the more I see that they are not reproductions, but the real fabrics from the 30s and 40s - oh how I love them. I like the way there are two spokes of each fabric, across from each other. Someone put a lot of work into these blocks and I'm honored to be able to make a quilt of them, and of the yellow blocks from Sheila.

Close ups of the Dresden Plates

They are not appliqued, though some have the pointed parts turned under and basted and some of the circles are turned under and basted. There was even a needle and thread still attached to one of the blocks. I think the centers will be all different - or do you think I should pick one color for all the centers? And not sure of the background, though traditionally these would have been done on a pale color that suits the fabrics - still debating that with myself.



And these you might have seen before - these are the 70s Dresden Plate blocks I got at the thrift store for 2.99. There are 17 done, appliqued down on white, and enough pieces and background to make 4 or 5 more.

One of the blocks has a small pieced sashing attached. There aren't any more fabrics to finish this sashing, but I've been collecting 70s fabrics to use. I think I'll make the sashing a little wider than this - maybe 2" - and set the blocks together that way. They are large blocks - almost 19 inches each.


And my last set of Dresden Plate blocks - I am making these, all in pastel tone-on-tone colors.

The points on these will be rounded . . .

And one of them is going to be a little basket - just for some interest. I might make another block into a butterfly - we'll see. And all centers are yellow.

And that's my Dresden Plate story - glad you could visit and see all the pretties I have. And thank you again Sheila and Billie - and the unknown maker of the 30s blocks.

15 comments:

Darlene said...

Oh my these are seriously lovely. I love all of them. Have fun!

Pat said...

WOW...some terrific things going on there. I think the centers for the 30's DP's should be whatever makes you happy. If it was me, I'd make all the centers the same....but I know it would look nice with them all different, too. Be sure to show us these projects as they get further along.

Lili said...

You gave me an idea to look for something like this on my thrift store visits! I'm drawn to the one from the yard sale that is from original fabric of the 30s and 40s. The spokes remind me of tiny ties. I can see how much fun this would be to play with fabric combinations! And to turn that one near the end of your post into a basket and perhaps even a butterfly...it looks like so much fun! I was in the fabric dept. yesterday of a huge closeout store and high up on the wall by the ceiling were quilt blocks all around the perimeter. I took out my camera and tried to take pictures of a few that "spoke" to me, but when I got home they were too blurry from holding the camera up over my head. Anyway, I thought of you as I was looking at all those quilt blocks. I'm glad you posted these Dresdon blocks though...didn't see any of those in the store. And they definitely "speak" to me! --Lili

Crispy said...

Wow so many beautiful blocks!! The yellow ones would be so pretty on a light brown background. I've always preferred a white background for multicolored ones, with no sashing. The are yours and I'm sure whatever you do it will be stunning :0)

Crispy

Mary said...

Nice to find and be gifted with so many Dresden Plate blocks. I got some at a "treasure sale' our guild holds twice a year. Mine are green and just need to be appliqued to a Background. I am still debating how to set them all together. Another UFO for now.

Christine Thresh said...

The ones from Billie are so nice. I would use just one color for the centers, but I am an old stick in the mud. Perhaps different fabrics will be fine.

Barb said...

I enjoyed seeing all those blocks, truly wonderful work.

I have some seventies material but I think it is all browns....and I think I might have some green polka dots (small, very small)....let me check, if you are interested, let me know!!

Dorothy said...

Wonderful Dresden Plate blocks, JoAnn, especially the one's from the 30's. The Dresden Plate is one of my favorite blocks. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Unknown said...

I hope wee're going to see the finished quilts. The blocks are awesome!

Sharon T in Napa said...

what a treat!!! Are these blocks made with templates, like the grandmothers flower garden pieces I have? I'm becoming tempted to try some DP's......oh oh!!!!

Small City Scenes said...

What wonderful blocks. The pointed ones remind me of ties and I remember years ago people actually used ties to make similar blocks. MB

Sunny said...

All those Dresden Plate blocks look like so much fun! Your thirties fabrics look like some I have left from my grandmother's fabrics. I am almost afraid to use them in case they would not hold together. (although I have used some to finish her quilt that was handed down to me - I just won't wash it) As for your yellow plates, I have always like blue with yellow....

Purple Pam said...

Love all your Dresden Plate blocks! What fun! I think one set should have a lavendar background, don't you think? I absolutely love your gingerbread man potholder. I made gingerbread men ornaments a couple of years ago. They were so much fun to make and gift.

Teresa said...

That's a great collection of blocks! I am sooooooo envious!

*karendianne. said...

On my list, first stop of the day - over coffee. What a delight. Studied blocks before reading so I was happy to read when I was *right* about Billie's spokes! Jo, Sheila's DP are bright and healthy and make my heart beat. I can feel it. Forget singing - this is much deeper. I'd have to dive in there. Glad you have 'em and not me and you know, I'm happy you chose to work with those tone-on-tone plates. I love the delicate yellow center. Perfect choice and then omg the sweet little basket. Great choice to create, fabulous choice!