Sunday, April 19, 2009

Online Spring Quilt Festival

Amy at http://parkcitygirl.blogspot.com/2009/04/quilt-festival-spring-2009.html has organized the first on-line Blogger's Quilt Festival. We are to post a photos of our favorite quilt and tell the story behind it.

Some of you may have seen my favorite - but bear with me as we see it again. I liked this quilt so much I made TWO of them. Well, maybe not because I liked it so much - though I really do like it - but my cousin from Oregon was visiting and saw the first quilt being made and wanted one just like it. So I put mine aside and began to work on hers.

The quilt is done in only medium blue and white - with hand embroidery in the borders. . .


Each corner has the same seagull on a piling - and each is facing the correct direction so they show up as sitting on the piling when the quilt is on the bed. I used 3" nine patches for a lot of the quilt - the inner section and the checkerboard border - from an online swap I did years ago. We all made nine patches in specified colors and sent a dozen of the little blocks to each swapper. We did the blue/white colors several times and I had a huge plastic shoe box of them. I had enough to make both quilts - and still have plenty left to do another project - NO, not another seaside quilt.


Close up of the seagull - the quilting - and the binding . . .

I made the edges curvy - following the lines of the quilting - I like how it looks likes waves . . .


The quilting is by hand - with different designs all through the borders . . .


This embroidered seagul escaped from the border and is flying through the middle of the quilt . .

I drew the embroidery patterns - only a few are shown here - then used an embroidery transfer pencil to trace over them to make them into iron-on transfers. I used the designs a couple times over in the borders and spent hours and hours doing the hand embroidery. Good thing I enjoy embroidery.

And a little something different, not usually found on a beach - can you find what is odd?

When I had finished the quilt for my cousin I finally got back to finishing my quilt. When it came time to quilt it I just couldn't face hand quilting the same quilt over again, so I sent it off to Julie in Idaho and she machine quilted it for me. She used the same sort of random quilting designs like I had done in the first one - and it turned out wonderful (as always when Julie quilts). It is our summer quilt - the soft blues are so peaceful.

37 comments:

Cathi said...

How gorgeous!! I love blue and white quilts and this one is just beautiful!! The igloo would be a novelty to see at a beach!

Dorothy said...

JoAnn, I love that quilt.

Browndirtcottage said...

Your quilt is wonderful Joann!! So soft and flow-ee. So dreamy and interesting. I can't believe you made 2 of them....great!!!

Crispy said...

Oh Jo that is just BEAUTIFUL, so restful. You actually drew the embroidery pieces???? I'm in awe of your talent. The quilting is wonderful and flowing!!

Wanna make me one? LOL

Crispy

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Holy Moly, that is breathtaking! When you are ready for a 3rd, I would be happy to send you my address!!

Vicky aka Stichr said...

Fantastic! I really like the escaping seagull....

Christine Thresh said...

What beautiful quilts! I can't imagine doing two of the same thing.
I did spot the igloo.

Mary said...

I can just hear the waves coming in...Cute embroidery designs too. Did you also use some of your hand dyes???

Quilt+Bitch said...

Incredible. It is so beautiful! I love the embroidery work.

Vicki said...

This is a great quilt! I love the colors you chose.

Susan said...

Oh my I think I am in love with the quilt. Amazing job thank you so much for posting a pic. maybe some day I can do one ( with alot of practice.)
hugs
Susan

Zonnah said...

I LOVE this quilt!

Moon Daisies said...

Oh your quilt is absolutely beautiful, I love the seaside theme, its my favourite kind of thing, you are such a clever lady

Lis Harwood said...

I love that quilt, what beautiful work - but is that a sandcastle or an IGLOO??!!

Carol said...

There's a lot going on with this quilt but the colors make it seem so peaceful. Interesting igloo on the beach :)Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us. What a treat.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

You put your heart and soul into this quilt - it is lovely.

Scrappy quilter said...

What a wonderful quilt.

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Absolutely gorgeous. Truly works of art.

Jocelyn said...

Jo, what an incredible quilt. I love the color combination. Beautiful work.

Cindy's Stitching said...

What a beautiful quilt. the top quilting takes it to the next level. How talented you are - love the one.

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

That is so very beautiful, well worth all the work you put into it. I embroider too so I know how much work it is let alone making the quilt and getting it quilted. Thanks I enjoyed looking at it.

Anonymous said...

Good gravy this is one amazing quilt! Truly a work of art, and labour of love. Color me all shades of impressed!

Nancy Jo said...

Jo,
That is a real beauty! I love the embroidery, YOU COULD JUST KEEP GOING AND MAKE A RED ONE, A YELLOW ONE, A GREEN ONE, WELL YOU GET THE IDEA.Oh look all caps. I like the idea of a color and white and all the embroidered pictures.Great job.
Nancy Jo

YankeeQuilter said...

Beautiful quilt...love the beach theme and the calming blues.

Quilt Rat said...

oh my gosh this is just too fabulous!

Granny Lyn said...

Oh, how I love the blue and white!! you did a wonderful job with these,,,stunning, no wonder it's your favorite!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Like a day at the beach--only elegant--

Unknown said...

How beautiful! I love all the embroidered details :)

Anonymous said...

wow!! I'm sure a lot of work went into both of these. So beautiful!

Patty said...

Your quilt is amazing!

stitchinpenny said...

When I looked at the distance shot I didn't appreciate the detail and planning that went into the quilt. It is amazing to find out that the subtle stripes are really 1 inch patches from the nine patch pattern. The embroidery adds so much interest.

QuiltedSimple said...

How pretty! And the embroidery is fantastic - I can only imagine the hours it took.
Kris

Sequana said...

I don't know how you did two of those! My patience runs out by the time I finish one design.

Beautiful tho, even the igloo. *S*

*karendianne. said...

This absolutely amazing! I love this quilt,. I can only imagine what it looks like in person.

My Fabric Obsession said...

What an amazing quilt! Wow!

SewCalGal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emma said...

Wow! Your quilt and handwork are simply stunning!