Monday, June 1, 2009

Test Results

At last we are home - and the result is NO BYPASS surgery is needed (see yesterday's post for details). We didn't think it would be needed, nor did all the doctors - but they had to check to make sure. And thank you for the many many emails and comments - we appreciate each and every one of them.

So here is how the day went - up early - have to be at the cardiologist office at 8:30

- elevator is broken at cardiologist office

- up three flights of steps

- I leave Don there to make a quick trip to pick up a few things at the store

- back to the cardiologist office - elevator still broken but they promise to fix it

- up three flights of steps

- craziness in the cath lab - they can't do proceedures today because there is no way to get patients downstairs if there is an emergency

- trying to reschedule the cath lab - and reschedule the pre-op with the surgeon - then back to keeping the pre-op with the surgeon and schedule the cath lab at the hospital next door

- go home for 2 1/2 hours - Don goes to work - he still hasn't eaten, since he has to fast before the preceedure

- pick up Don - get to the hospital cath lab at 1

- get registered and into the cardiac waiting room

-Don is off to be prepped - I wait

- they take me to the cath lab to say good bye (not my favorite choice of words, even if it was just a proceedure)

- and I wait

- and I wait

- and I wait

- finally his number turns pink on the patient monitor and I can go back to recovery to sit with him

- he is groggy and silly - but fine - and NO BYPASS needed

- it is almost 4 now - and no sitting up until 5:30

-sitting up, slightly - a dry sandwich (bread and two thin slices of dry roast beef - that is it) and a tiny cup of watermelon

- finally, walking down the hallway at 6 - no bleeding - which is good

-yaaaaaaay 6 o'clock - going home

- what a day - we are both exhausted - I'm even too tired to post a funny photo - so if you want one - please go to your photo files and find one that makes you smile - thanks.

He is on rest for the next day - and very light duty - no walking - no stairs - no lifting at all. I think a day of rest will be good for him tomorrow - I have to go to work - don't want to - but you know how it is with jobs - you go or they don't give you any money.

Thanks again, for all your concerns, good wishes, good thoughts and prayers. Next is the pre-op on Wednesday - I'll keep you posted.


Pat said...

Sorry the day was extra-stressful but happy to hear the end-result was no bypass.

Sunny said...

Glad to hear the good news on no by-pass. I know its the w-a-i-t-i-n-g that wears on a person. My hubby has been through cancer twice and the waiting is excruciating at times. It is truly amazing how strong we can be when needed in the face of adversity, and it shows through in you. When we go through hard things, it enables us to encourage others in their tough times. Our prayers are with you.

karenfae said...

glad it all went well with your hubby yesterday. Can't believe the broken elevator how did they expect heart patients to walk 3 flights of stairs to see the doctor!! that must have been very hard for some patients. Waiting is the hardest isn't it.

Crispy said...

Ya know the thing that kept bugging me is the fact that they had all those heart patients climbing the stairs. They should have had a person downstairs and had everything set up to do the work at the hospital or to reschedule if possible...sheesh.


Julie in the Barn said...

That's good news, JoAnn, but good grief, what a trying day! Health care in this country is sure a mess. Someday, when this is all over, you can look back and laugh about all the oddball glitches. Meanwhile, stay strong and be sure to take care of yourself, too.

Nancy Jo said...

Boy I need to lay down after reading that. BUT, glad to hear the good news. Now hope he behaves and takes it easy for a few days.

Teresa said...

Glad you got good news. I know that is a relief. Now to get the surgery over with and on to living!

Cute picture of the sheep.

Cass @ That Old House said...

Oh, my, that was an awful lot of awful waiting. . . but thank goodness there is no need for the bypass surgery. I am amazed that you are able to "blog" at all -- I think I'd be in a corner with a blanket pulled up over my head. You are a brave lady. . . Best wishes and prayers headed your way ...

Belvie said...

Glad to hear that by-pass will not be required. My thoughts and prayers are with both of you. Take care of him, but also take care of you as this will tough on you too.

Linda B said...

I can so envision you sitting and waiting. . . and waiting. It's easier being the patient. I'm happy to hear there will not need to be a bypass, but also that he will be getting the other now. It's best to get it over with. The waiting is so difficult.
My thoughts are with you. If you need someone to wait with you, I'm pretty close by!

pwetypweas said...

I'm so relieved Don doesn't need the Bypass - one less thing to worry about! I'm really hoping we can manage to BOTH get out there for the surgery - otherwise I'll just be a wreck here worrying... I'm on pins and needles waiting to find out! Rus is certain the surgery is going to be over Father's Day weekend... which in one way would be a blessing as I'm already scheduled for a 5 day weekend then so we can probably's hoping! Just let us know as soon as you know! We both love you and Don so much and can't wait to see you both (now if it was only under better circumstances!)

Love you much

Mary said...

I pray that your husband will be feeling fine again very soon - that was a very stressful day for you both!

Re: Dartington estate and your ?
The college classrooms, dorms.etc. are based in other more modern buildings situated away from the Great Hall but on the estate. I'm thinking they may be leased out to businesses once the school moves to Cornwall next year. A shame all around - for the local rural area's financial situation, and for the students who will lose such an amazing campus on which to pursue their artistic dreams.

The estate comprises of other enterprises, a theatre, restaurant/tea garden, locale for seminars and courses etc., so will continue to be a showcase I'm certain.

I'll show more,photos on tomorrow's post. Thanks for visiting - take care dear.

Sandi said...

I have been where you are many times, only it was with my dad, not my husband. I will keep you and your husband in my prayers. I need to read more of your blog to learn more about his situation. I always love to read your comments on my tea blog. :-)
P.S. my word verification is "notion"! I'm glad I took a notion to pop over to your blog and take a read!!

goddess in the groove said...

xoxo :)

Purple Pam said...

Glad to hear the good news on the bypass surgery. Sorry for such a stressful day you both had. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Don. Remember to take care of yourself, too, please.

Julie said...

I'll never forget when Dan had his heart cathertization. My sis came to sit with me. They told us it would start at x time and be over at x time. Time went by, finally my sis had to leave for work. Eventually a nurse came out and said they were just about to start. "START!" I said, "I THOUGHT IT WAS ALMOST OVER."