Monday, October 24, 2011

North Cascades National Park



Summer was so wonderful this year - though short, so we took advantage of any good weekend weather and took a day trip. This trip was to Cascades National Park, north and east of Bellingham. We had a gloriously sunny day - perfect temperature too.


On the way we stopped at this farm and took pictures of the poppy garden . . .





Amazing flowers . . .


People used wood pieces in unusual ways in their yards - this crooked limb
made a perfect plant hanger . . .


Another plant hanger . . .


The rocks in Washington are stunning . . .


You can see how massive this rock wall is when compared to our car . . .




Driving along the Skagit River. . .


The river changed at every turn - each view more spectacular . . .





Look out - tunnel ahead - why didn't they warn me?


Light at the end of the tunnel . . .


This was our view while we ate our picnic lunch . . .






Giant cedar trees along the river . . .


Rocks and waterfalls at the dam . . .





And the river again . . .








Scenic mountain views were everywhere . . .




A mountain in the distance . . .

And close-up with the new camera . . .



A unique mountain top - love that zoom !





A day spent in the mountains is so refreshing to the body and soul . . .

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to have a cabin & "go off the grid" there for the rest of my life!!
Marilyn

Pondside said...

What a gorgeous place!
I'm working over on the mainland today and the facility in which I was to do interviews is shut down due to problems - so I am going to drive the 2 km down the road to the Sumas crossing and head over to Bellingham this morning for a little retail therapy. It pays to always have the passport in the purse! I'll wave in your general direction!

regan said...

Beautiful pics.....you really make me miss WA sometimes. Most of my family still lives there, so the occasional visit is best! lol

Peggy said...

Gorgeous! Reminds me of our trips through northern WA this year!

Sharon T in Napa said...

You always make me want to grab my camera and just go for a drive. Thanks Jo. Lets try to do lunch or coffee in November.

Lili said...

Oh the mountains are just so majestic. You get to go to a lot of wonderful places there and I always enjoy seeing where you take us! ~Lili

A Garden of Threads said...

Your pictures were restful for my soul as well. Love the shot of in the tunnel. Hope all is well with you. Take care, Jen.

Julie Fukuda said...

Great pictures as always...I can understand why my son became a forest ranger in the NW.

GardenOfDaisies said...

So beautiful!!!!!